• (715) 852-3000

Open Enrollment Options

Open Enrollment


If you reside outside of the Eau Claire Area School District, but wish for your child to attend an ECASD school for the 2021-22 school year, you must complete an open enrollment application. The deadline for application is April 30, 2021 at 4:00pm. It can be found on the Department of Public Instruction Open Enrollment site. 

Alternative Open Enrollment

Parents normally apply for open enrollment for the following school year during a three-month application period which begins in February and ends on the last weekday in April. However, 2011 Act 114 established a procedure by which parents may apply for open enrollment outside of the regular application period.  You can find more information on the process, including the application form, at Open Enrollment Alternative Application. This form is available starting in July.

Part-time Open Enrollment

Beginning in the 2018-19 school year, a pupil enrolled in a public school in the high school grades may attend public school in a nonresident school district for the purpose of taking a course offered by the nonresident school district.  A pupil may attend no more than 2 courses at any time in nonresident school districts.  Wis. Stat. 118.52
The Part-time Open Enrollment application and informational brochure can be found on DPI’s new Part-time Open Enrollment webpage.  

Resident Options

Transfer Request to an Alternate School 

Eau Claire Area School District Board Policy 432 states that students will be expected to attend the school located in the attendance boundary in which they reside. 
If you reside within the ECASD but wish for your child to attend a school outside of your neighborhood boundary, you must complete an Alternate School Request FormThis request is subject to approval and is generally only granted for extenuating circumstances. 

Part-time Enrollment for ECASD Residents

A student enrolled in a home-based educational program or enrolled in a private school who has met the standards for admission to high school shall be able to take up to two courses during each semester if the School Board determines there is sufficient space in the classroom. The student must reside in the Eau Claire Area School District and follow the criteria set forth in the Open Enrollment Policy. Families must complete a Part-time Enrollment Form and turn it into the ECASD Administration Department. 


Completing an Open Enrollment, Part-time Open Enrollment, Alternative Open Enrollment, or Alternate School Request form DOES NOT enroll your child into the ECASD. You will need to complete a separate enrollment application via the Enrollment website.
If you have questions about eligibility for any of the programs listed above, please submit your request in writing to our Administration Department - districtadministration@ecasd.us. 

Behavior Expectations